Last week, I wrote a short blog on personal crisis and negative thinking. I ended the blog using the word “perspective”. Keep that word – PERSPECTIVE – in mind as you read what follows –
Have you ever tried to do something indoors with your sunglasses on?
Ok, so maybe you’re one of those “cool” people who wears his shades inside (for image and all), but on a more practical note, think for a moment about what it’s like to wear your sunglasses inside the house or better yet, what happens when you wear them at night? Try it sometime and see how easy it is to cook or read or watch TV. Ok, so you have the idea.
Now, once again, think about PERSPECTIVE. More importantly, think about YOUR PERSPECTIVE.
Let’s dig a little deeper. Let’s say that it’s nighttime and you’re in the car driving, with your sunglasses on. Now, let’s talk about your perspective. Answer the following questions for yourself:
- How easy is it to see the road?
- Can you read the speedometer to know how fast you’re going?
- Do your eyes hurt from straining to see?
- Is it frustrating?
- Are you able to drive as fast as you could without the sunglasses?
- Is it scary?
- What are you chances of having an accident?
Again, I think you get the picture. My point here is that when you wear sunglasses at the wrong time, not only are they ineffective, but they actually can put your life at risk. If wearing your sunglasses at night makes driving difficult or almost impossible, what can you do to fix the situation?
TAKE YOUR SUNGLASSES OFF! Brilliant, huh?
Ok, for the sake of driving this home, let’s turn this little analogy to the personal and practical side as it relates to you and your PERSPECTIVE. In this case, wearing sunglasses = bad, negative, disruptive, depressing, pessimistic in terms of perspective and attitude. Now, with that in mind, what happens if you wear your “sunglasses at night” with regards to your PERSPECTIVE? Answer these questions:
- How easy is it to conduct your life – work, make friends, love family members, eat right, exercise, etc.?
- Is it hard to find your way?
- How do you feel physically, mentally and emotionally?
- Are you frustrated?
- Are you effective at ____________________ (you fill in the blank)?
- Is your negative viewpoint slowing you down?
- Do you find yourself depressed, anxious and sick a lot?
- How successful do you think you will be, wearing this PERSPECTIVE?
- Is it helping or hurting you?
They’re valid questions to ask. All of us need to keep our perspective in check on a daily basis. It’s not an easy thing to do, especially when our lives don’t go exactly as we hope.
Here’s your inspiration for today – Don’t let a bad or negative perspective put your life in peril. Make sure that you daily keep it in check.